Sunday, November 9, 2008

RM#2 : Day 9 Peanut Kuzhambu (Kadalai Kuzhambu)

I normally prepare this Peanut Kuzhambu when I am bored and we seem to be needing a change in food. And also when I am short of fresh veg. We all like this for Rice. The kuzhambu and crunchiness of peanuts go together very well.

Peanut Kuzhambu
Ingredients
Peanuts - 1/2 cup
(soaked the previous night and pressure cooked with little salt till it becomes soft)
Chopped Onion - 1 big
Chopped Garlic - 5 to 6
Tomato - 1
Thick Tamarind extract - 3 to 4 tb.sp
(soak the tamarind in water, take a thick extract of it)
Sambar Powder - 2 tb.sp
Salt to taste
Oil
Freshly grated Coconut - 2 tb.sp
Cumin seeds - 11/2 t.sp

For tempering
Mustard seeds - 1 t.sp
Urad dal - 1 t.sp
Fenugreek seed - 1/2 t.sp
Asafoetida - 1/2 t.sp
Curry Leaves


Method
Heat oil in Kadai. Add all the items given tempering. Once the crackling of the curry leaves has stopped add the chopped onion and garlic. Saute for a minute or two. Then add the chopped tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes have become soft. Add sambhar powder and salt. Add a little water, tamarind extract and cooked peanuts. Cover and cook for about 10 min. stirring in between. Grind the coconut and cumin seeds and add to the kuzhambu. Serve hot with rice.

So now lets see what our other RM runners are cooking today.
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga
 
20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23)Pavani

14 comments:

  1. nice.. will try this dear. i have some channa in the fridge waiting for me to pick up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. curry with peanuts, delish. Would love to try this.

    Madhu/Ruchii

    ReplyDelete
  3. never tasted this ,looks deleciouss lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew of this dish before. Very interesting to see peanuts as main ingredient in a savory dish

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is completely new to me. I never had this before. must be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haaah very new to me i will make chutney with peanuts. sure try this

    ReplyDelete
  7. With Peanuts?? Must try! Would like to invite you for a coffee at My blog
    Pls join me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is completely new for me Laks..never heard about this too..people know to prepare chutneys with peanuts but never as gravy..delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bell Pepper Dal sounds really delicious and tempting...
    will try this soon..
    I have an award waiting for you on my blog...kindly collect it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Havent heard abt this.Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow very creative:) I have a huge box of roasted peanuts and my husband loves when I add peanuts in dishes. Yours looks like a perfect idea to use it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Itz different... looking nice. Good creative..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...