Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rm#2 : Day 18 Medhu Vadas

Medhu Vada a very popular south indian dish. A dish which is a favourite of all indians. My neighbour also likes our pakodas, medhu vadas etc. She calls medhu vadas as savoury dough nuts. It is a very favourite dish of my husband and whenever there is an occassion, I have to make them.

Ingredients
Urad dal - 1 cup
Rice - 1 tb.sp
green chillies - 3 to 4
ginger - 1 inch (chopped)
onions - 1 big (chopped finely)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method
Soak the urad dal and rice for about 1 hour. Strain the water and grind them in a grinder or in a mixie. Add the green chillies and ginger while grinding itself. Do not add water while grinding. Remove to the batter to a bowl. Add the onions and salt and mix well. Wet your hands and roll little batter in your palm like a ball. It should not stick to ur hands and should roll in your palms. This is the consistency of the batter. Heat oil in a kadai. Shape the batter in the form a dough nut using your palm and finger. I prefer to do it with the help of plastic sheet. The batter does not stick to a wet plastic sheet. Deep fry the vadais till they become golden brown. The heat should not be too hot nor should it be very less hot. Maintain the heat at a medium temperature throughout the process. Serve hot with coconut chutney.

Check out what my other RM friends are cooking today in their kitchen.
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23)Pavani

24)Karuna

25)Roochi

13 comments:

  1. Hats off to you runners! I do not have the patience to blog daily:) Medhu vadas are one of favorite snacks - dunking them in rasam or sambar is another big time treat! Keep going, Lakshmi:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pls check out YAAT post at my blog!
    I have something for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love medhu vadas..looks delicious n prefect..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this vada and it looks really crunchy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. deliicous vada. lovely color too. I cud rememebr when it was our breakfast everyday.. we miss this in US. but now I will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wada looks crispy and fluffy.....My hubby loves it with rasam and sambhar

    ReplyDelete
  7. i made these over the weekend, I cannont get the shapes what so ever. Looks crunchy and nice colour to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmmm onion pakodas and medhu vadaaa...i want it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy ....OK give me some sambhar

    ReplyDelete
  10. lakshmi i love the vadas my mom makes.......i just cant get the right shape,nicely fried......

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look perfectly shaped. Also liked your onion pakoda recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came out perfect.I do not get the shape correctly.Looks cisp and crunchy.Love to have it along with pakoda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this great recipe for Medhu Vadas. They look great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...