Saturday, November 8, 2008

RM#2 : Day 8 Sothi (Side Dish for Idiyappam)

Sothi is a very famous South Indian Side Dish. It is very easy and quick to prepare it. It was one among the 1st dishes I made for about 20 guests first time after marriage. They were the 1st guests to our house, 20 of them at the same time. And I had conceived by then and was vomiting a lot. With all my vomitings I cooked the first guests of our house.
The menu on that day was Idiyappam with Sothi, sambhar, Veg. Cutlets, Kavuni Arisi. At that time it was too much for me (not a much experienced cook). Why I am doing all this blaa, blaa is to say that Sodhi is one of the easiest recipe I learnt.

Sodhi (Side Dish for Idiyappam)
Ingredients
2 Potatoes (medium sized)
Pressure cook the Potatoes and mash them.
1 cup Thick Coconut Milk
2 1/2 cup Diluted Coconut Milk
3 to 4 Green Chillies
Mustard Seed - 1/2 t.sp
1 tb.sp Lemon Juice
Salt to taste

Method

Heat about 1 t.sp oil in a kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds and add green chillies. Since I didn't have green chillies I had used 1 t.sp of Chilli Powder here. Add the diluted coconut milk. Add the mashed potatoes, salt and stir it. Let the mixture reach a boiling stage. Take the kadai away from the gas and add the thick coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir again and serve hot with Idiyappams.

So easy and so fast, isn't it.

Check out what the other RM runners are cooking today, here.
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga
 
20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23)Pavani


Time for more awards
Divya of Divyas Easy Recipes, Viji of Vazhga Valathudan and Lubna of Yummy Food have given me the Friendship Award.
 
Lubna has also given me the Inspiration Award.
Thanks to all of you for sharing these awards with me. It is very nice of you all.

14 comments:

  1. wow.. this is totally new to me.. mashed potatoes in coconut milk gravy.. nice idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. so easy recipe, nevre made potatoes this way, wil try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is really yummy curry with idiyappam. nice post dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely curry... this should also go well with dosa/ ildi!! A must try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely,It is similar to stew.I relish it very much with idiyappam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard that this is a famous kuzhambu in the region of Tirunelveli.Havent made it though.Will try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the kuzhambu bu i don't have the recipe thank u so much for the recipe dear very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of the name Sothi before..sounds quite similar to potato stew/ishtoo..would taste great with idiyappam..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..I am eying that idiappam!..lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prefect side for idiyappam...delicious n looks fabulous Lakshmi...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iddiyappam looks much great and so does the sothi too! Will try to fix that for dinner today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on ur Awards.. looks perfect ... nice entry..

    ReplyDelete
  13. We call this ishtoo in malayalam. You got the perfect color for Sodhi :) Loved the pic:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow.. My dad's favourite dish, Let me try this out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...