Tuesday, November 4, 2008

RM#2 : Day 4 - Idli Manchurian

Idli Manchurian is one of my favourite dish. Once when I had gone to a hotel in Chennai I ordered for this dish. I liked the name very much. Indian-Chinese Combo. And it tasted very good. We liked it very much. But then my husband told me that he thinks its made from old idli. So we didn't want to eat it in a hotel next time. But we liked the dish very much and decided to make it home myself. What I did was, I adapted the manchurian recipe which I already knew to suit this one. And it was yummy and lip-smacking.





Idli Manchurian
Ingredients  

Quartered Idlis - 2 cups

Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Chopped Onion - 1 medium
Chopped Bell pepper - 1
Chopped Spring Onions - 3
Green Chillies - 3, chopped finely
Garlic - 1-2 tsp, minced
Soyasauce - 2 t.sp
Chilli sauce - 1 tsp, ( I used Tabasco)
Ketchup - 2 tsp
Cornflour - 1 tbsp
Oil
Salt - to taste


Method
Marinate the Idlis with the mixture of chilli powder, 1 t.sp soya sauce, 1 t.sp ketchup, salt and cornflour. Add water only if needed. Ensure that the idlis are well coated with the mixture. Cover and keep it for about 15 to 20 min. 
Heat a non-stick pan and shallow fry the idlis till golden brown and crisp. Remove and keep aside. Heat some more oil and saute the chopped onion and garlic. Till the onion becomes translucent. Add the chopped bell pepper and saute for a min or 2. Then add rest of the ingredients. Cook for a min. Keep aside. 
While serving, heat the gravy a little add the crispy idlis and garnish with spring onions.
It is easy right. And yummy way to use old idlis rather than the usual Idli uppuma.

Submitting this post to Srivalli's Rice Mela

Now lets see what's cooking up in my fellow marathoner's kitchen ?

1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

20)Sripriya

21)Viji

25 comments:

  1. When i read the title i said to myself this i really have to check out.
    I love any manchurian fry and with idlies even though it is new to me, i am sure i would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lakshmi, sounds awesome! If there is an event for fusion food this would top the charts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds really awesome and looks gr8. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is healthier than the normal fried version and easier too.The dish is amazing and the it is truly fusion food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lakshmi!!look what u did!Ur pics made me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this.. yours have turned out just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make sure I make extra idlies just to make this..yumm

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a bright color lakshmi ,nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delightful....great fusion recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so crisp and mouthwatering.. its my fav. Who doesn't like deep fried snack.. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. the name itself sounds gr8.......nice halloween presentation too.....i will mail you regarding ur query......

    ReplyDelete
  12. bookmarked dear :). will make soon. Lovely idea of having tdli manchurian.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Idly manchurian very tempting, looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lakshmi looks perfect... pls pass this plate pls..

    ReplyDelete
  15. superb idea hey i have to tel this to my mom she is a big fan of any veg. manchurian very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  16. Talk about another Indo Chinese recipe!! Great twist:), and thanks for introducing me to Ruchii:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. idili manchurian are tempting me to have a small piece from ur plate....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Idli manchurian looks crispy n delicious Lakshmi..great twist n kids will love for the sure..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Idli manchurian is new to me looks crispy and amazing...Love the colour...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Idli manchurian...yummy...fell in love with it the first time I ate it!!haven't tried making this at home though..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, that Manchurian looks lovely! and all you guys in RM#2 are doing a great job!! you have a lovely blog, and thanks for visiting mine Lakshmi:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a very innovative recipe.. my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...