Saturday, November 1, 2008

RM#2 : Day : 1 - Kuzhi Paniyaram

Kuzhi Paniyaram is a very popular Chettinad tiffin item made in special pans. It got its name from these pans which have half ball sized holes, kuzhi in Tamil. It is a favourite dish from young to old. No age bar. And because of its taste and size, it keeps on going non-stop. There two versions of this paniyarams, sweet & salted.  My husband is a fan of the salted ones & so I usually make the salted version. But then both the versions are yummy. With the children it is always "Innum Konjam Amma". Many of our friends also like it very much including our neighbours here. Once I made it for the BBQ here and all of it vanished in a jiffy. This has long been waiting in the "Coming Soon" section, shouting at me "Post me, Post me, Post me, Post me, Post me will you". So here I have put down the recipe for the savoury paniyaram.

Ingredients
Raw Rice - 1 cup (Also you can use Basmati Rice, though it is not used traditionally but my trial with worked out fine.)

Boiled Rice - 1 cup
Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Fenugreek Seeds  -  1/4  tsp
Onion - 1 big
Green Chillies - 2
Grated Coconut - 2 to 3 tb.sp

Coriander Leaves
Salt to taste (about 2 t.sp)

Method

Wash the rices and soak them with the urad dal & fenugreek seeds in water for at least 6 to 7 hours. Grind it to get a thick batter without adding much water (little thicker than the consistency of idli batter). Add salt, mix well and allow it to ferment for at least 6 hours or better overnight.
Heat 1 tb.sp oil in a flat pan & season with mustard and finely chopped curry leaves. Add the finely chopped onion and saute till translucent. Toss in the green chillies and grated coconut. Saute for few minutes. Add this to the batter and mix well.

Heat the paniyaram pan (better non-stick) and add a few drops of oil in each hole. The heat should be medium. Pour the batter in each kuzhi, just 3/4 of the kuzhi not more. Wait for a minute. And then Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. When it is cooked underneath, flip to the other side using a spoon or a sharp needle or paniyaram stick. And cook again. To check the readiness insert a needle in the center it should come out clean. Serve hot with tomato chutney. We normally make a side dish called Thakkali Urulaikizhangu Therekkal. I will try to post the recipe for this also in the near future.

And these Kuzhi Paniyarams are being served to the following events :
1) Saapadu Ready event hosted by Aartee of From the Kitchen
2) WYF : Kitchen Gadget event hosted by Easy Crafts of Simple Indian Food - An Easy Cooking Blog
3) Rice Mela event hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons

Let us see what my fellow marathoners are cooking
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

9 comments:

  1. Hi lakshmi,
    thanku so much for visiting my blog and for ur lovely comments....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lakshmi..Kuzhi paniyaram looks delicious..love them like anything..

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely low fat snack.. can munch on these anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks perfect.. will u pls send that plate??? looks yummy & delicious/...

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks really yummy lakshmi .. wud love them for my breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these.. so tasty and poppable :) I add onions, carrots etc to the seasoning too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a wonderful recipe. Oh! How I envy your neighbours! :)
    I guess i will have to make them myself. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Will the muffin pans be too big for these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all for the lovely, yummy, tasty comments.
    PG : Muffin pans will do fine. Only the shape will vary. I am planning to place a photo of the pan and the way we do it, the next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that would be great! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...