Tuesday, November 11, 2008

RM#2 : Day 11 Thakkali Uruzhaikilangu Thirakkal (Tomato Potato Dish)

We normally make this for Rava idlis, kuzhi paniyaram etc. I like it very much. My mother makes this very often. She also includes brinjals. but since my husband does not like brinjals I avoid them. She is very specific about the shape the potato and the brinjals are cut for this dish. She says the shape of them also matters a lot. So here we go.

Ingredients
Tomato - 2 big
Potato - 1 big
Onion - 1 big
grated coconut - 2 tb.sp
red chilli powder - 11/2 t.sp
salt to taste

For the seasoning
Mustard seeds - 1 t.sp
Urad dal - 1 t.sp
Fennel Seeds (Sombu) - 1 t.sp
Curry leaves

Method
Chop the onions. Peel the potatos and chop them little and long fine. They should not be cubes. Wash the tomatoes and chop them. Grind the tomatoes, coconut and red chilli powder together to a fine paste. Heat oil in a pressure pan. Add the items for seasoning and then add the onions. Once the onion becomes translucent add the chopped potatoes. Cook for about 1 or 2 min. Add the grinded mixture and keep stirring for about 2 to 3 min. Now close the pressure pan and let one whistle come. Then you can turn off the gas and let the pressure come out on its own. Serve it hot.


So I think it was very easy and tastes good too.


Dear Mahimaa, for your question about the cake it is coming soon. I was trying to schedule the posts yesterday but somehow it got posted. And so I removed it. By the way if someone knows how to schedule posts for the future, please do let me know. I have typed them and saved it in drafts. I will be not here in the last week of Nov. and so want the posts to be scheduled.


Let us check out what my other co-runners are cooking today.
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga
 
20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23)Pavani

17 comments:

  1. Wow..delicious curry..looks fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious curry, and looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this combination and prepare it often :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive heard about this .. but never knew the recipe .. thanks for sharing it with us ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. So delicious Lakshmi..You have nice set of recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting recipe. Yeah my mommy does the same thing to me....she will be specific about slicing or chopping in a certain manner to each dish. They sure do have some appeal!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so yummy and new......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look for new curries to make with chapathis, this is nice recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kuzhambu romba nalla irukku! Perfect with any dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dish.I too make a similar potato dish with paniyaram.This looks lovely.What your mother said is true-shape also matters.

    For scheduling the post,while writing your draft,you can see "Post options" below.Click on that.It will show the date and time.Change it to required date and time. Hope this helps u :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me bookmark each and every recipe of yours.. this dish looks so tempting girl.. wanna have it with idlis :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color of the dish looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely combination n colurful curry

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks yummy i also do the same i won't use coconut

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ,I think I forgot to give the last step of scheduling--after changing date and time,click publish button

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...