Friday, November 21, 2008

RM#2 : Day 21 Ven Pongal

My husband and children like ven pongal with coconut chutney or sambhar and with medhu vada. My mother used to add turmeric powder to pongal and cook it to look like Kichdi. But in my in-laws house they cook a typical Ven Pongal. So I also adapted to this preparation.

Ingredients
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Moong Dal - 3/4 cup
Green Chilli - 2 to 3
Crushed Pepper & Jeera - 2 t.sp
Broken Cashew Nuts - 2 t.sp
Whole Pepper - 1 t.sp
Jeera - 1 t.sp
Grated ginger - 1 t.sp
Salt to taste
Ghee - 1/2 cup
Method

Wash the rice and dal. Pressure cook both of them together with 31/2 cups of water, salt, chopped green chillies, crushed pepper & jeera, grated ginger. Cook for 2 whistles. Remove and let the pressure come out. Splutter the whole pepper and jeera in 1 t.sp ghee. Also fry the cashew nuts. When the pressure gets released open and add the fried ingredients and the rest of the ghee. Mix together without mashing the rice and dal too much. Serve hot with the chutney and sambhar of your choice.

And this Ven Pongal is being served to the Rice Mela event hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons

Check out what the other RM runners are cooking today
1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

4) Ranji

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23)Pavani

24)Karuna

25)Roochi

2 comments:

  1. Nice post on Pongal. Looking for more on coming days regarding Pongal. Wish u a very Happy Pongal Festival. Want to exchange link with my post.
    Regards,
    Varun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pongal looks very delicious :) Nice breakfast recipe!

    I am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of Ven pongal in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive ur comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...