Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Indian Cooking Challenge > March > Sago Murukku

Writing a recipe post after a very long time.  Feels good.

When I read Srivalli's Indian Cooking Challenge (ICC) for this month, I was a bit confused. Is this recipe going to workout for me? Or is it going to end in a disaster. After giving so many thoughts at last I gathered the courage to after all give the recipe a try.

And to my amazement it came out excellent. Children and hubby liked it a lot.

Normally we do not add Sago to murukku. Since there is always a chance of bursting fire crackers in the kitchen. It was totally new to me.



Coming to the recipe. The recipe had called for the following ingredients.
  1. Rice Flour - 2 cups
  2. Besan / Kadalai Maavu - 1/2 cup
  3. Fried Gram Flour / Pottu Kadalai Maavu - 1/2 cup
  4. Sago / Javvarisi - 1/2 cup
  5. Curd - 1/4 cup
  6. Red Chilli Powder - to taste (about 1/2 tsp should be enough)
  7. Salt to taste
  8. Oil - 50 gms (about 1/2 a cup) (for adding in the flour)
  9. Oil for deep frying
Method :
  1. Soak the sago for about 3 hrs in buttermilk. The Sago should be well immersed in buttermilk, since it absorbs the liquid in the process of soaking. So there should be enough of buttermilk.
  2. Mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl and also add the buttermilk soaked sago. To this add 50 gms hot oil. And knead to make a dough of the consistency of chapathi dough.             
  3. Heat oil for frying. Press the dough into the hot oil with the help of Murukku Achu.
  4. Cook on medium flame so that the Murukku gets cooked well.

Important Notes:

Please see to it that the sago gets soaked well. You may soak for more hours but ensure that the sago is soaked very well. It becomes very soft after getting soaked. Since this will avoid fire crackers in the kitchen.

What I did was I soaked the sago in normal water instead of soaking it in buttermilk. I soaked it for almost about half a day. I added curd while preparing the dough.


Note : Please participate in the event Tried & Tasted (T&T) : Sailu's Food going on here. Last date to recieve the entries 30th April.

16 comments:

  1. Lakshmi, they look super yummy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super crispy murukkus, looks yumm..Will send my entries ofr T& T once i post my other recipes..Ok va Lakshmi??..

    ReplyDelete
  3. super yummy I too enjoyed making them a lot and they got over so quickly

    ReplyDelete
  4. These murukus look crunchy and crispy.Lovely snack.My 1st visit here you have anice space.Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sago muruku looks really perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Murukku looks nice, with sago peeping out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muruku looks yummy and can clearly see the round sagu in them.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Murukku looks so yummy.perfect one.best with evening tea

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm. looks so tempting. YUmmy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come out perfect dear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Murukku looks crispy & crunchy. Lovely snack.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...