Sunday, March 8, 2009

Idli Milagai Podi / Spiced Powder Accompaniment for Idli, Dosa

Idli Milagai Podi is very common and very famous in Tamil Nadu. Idli milagai podi mixed with gingelly oil or ghee is a wonderful/winning accompaniment for Idli/Dosa. You will find it every where in Tamil Nadu in hotels, messes, houses, marriages, functions etc. Each and every tamilian house is sure to have this podi stocked in their shelves. Though there are many varities of sambhar and chutneys to accompany Idli and Dosa, still this podi has it own place. If you go to hotels in tamil nadu and order for idli or Dosa you will get two to three varieties of Chutneys, one sambhar and also this Podi mixed with some gingelly oil.

My husband loves this Podi very much and can eat just about any tiffin item with this podi. It was one among the very first items I learnt to make after I got married.

Each one has their own version of this podi. Here I am producing my mother's recipe for this Idli Milagai Podi. My mother used to sometimes pack idlis/uthappams coated with oiled podi for lunch. This used to be the greatest hit not only among my friends but also among my fathers friends. For him she had to pack one more box extra for his friends. She has so many fans for this Podi in the appartment we used to live before marraige. Very often she used goes to others houses to make this podi for them. One of her friends used to call to make this Podi, and sends it to America where her daughter lives.

Idli Milagai Podi

Idli Milagai Podi
Dry Red Chilli - 2 cups
Urad Dal / Split Black Gram - 1 cup
Channa Dal / Bengal Gram - 1 cup
Moong Dal / Split Peeled Green Gram - 1 cup
Roasted Channa Dal/ Chutnika dal/ Roasted Bengal Gram - 1 cup
Peanuts - 1 cup
Dry Coconut Grated - 1/4 cup
Til / Sesame Seeds - 5 to 6 tb.sp
Tamarind - 1 small lemon sized ball
Asafoetida - 1 tb.sp

Method

  1. Roast each of the following seperately in one t.sp oil : Red Chillies, Urad dal / Split Black Gram, Channa Dal / Bengal Gram, Moong Dal / Split Peeled Green Gram, Roasted Channa Dal/ Chutnika dal/ Roasted Bengal Gram. 
  2. Roast them in medium/low flame and preferably in a thick bottomed vessel. 
  3. Roast them till the aroma of the dals start coming and till they start changing colours. 
  4. Do not over roast them or under roast them. 
  5. Roast the Peanuts without oil. Remove the skin if they have it. 
  6. Roast the coconut and sesame seeds one at a time without oil. 
  7. Heat the asafoetida and the tamarind a little.
  8. Let them all cool down.
  9. Grind all them one by one in a mixer to a coarse powder.
  10. Mix them together. Add salt.
  11. Again grind the mixed powder in a mixer, little at a time.
  12. Store it in a clean and dry bottle. Will stay good for months.

You can also add Fenugreek Leaves, Garlic etc according to your liking. Roast them before adding it to the powder. The measurements I have given the ones which I always take. But you can take it the way you like, you can reduce some dals and just omit some dals depending on the availability and the taste. The compulsory ones are channa dal, urad dal, red chilli, salt, tamarind. Others all you can change it according to the availability and taste.

This podi is going to the Lentils Mela hosted by Ashwini of Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine and to the Colors Of Taste - Powders: Podi's as an Accompaniment event hosted by Smitha of Kadumanga.

41 comments:

  1. Ur podi is totally different Laks. I love podi and idli too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesterday I had dosai without podi coz my podi got over... and I was thinking of how good it would have tasted with podi... I was looking for a good milagai podi recipe... I am definitely trying yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a perfect entry for the event...different from what I'm used to...yours sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the bright red color of your podi.i have never put mung dhal, peanuts in my idli podi. should be very yummy. next time, will try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Podi...looks delicious...love them...i end up eating more idlis and dosas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so gud...and colourful...a bit different things in the podi for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanku lakshmi for dropping by my blog and 4 ur wonderful comment!!plz be in touch.idli podi sounds great.u added all the dals.protein-rich podi it is:)we add only channa and urad dal:)will try urs soon.Adding tamarind is also new to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow sounds spicy and yum. Will try this version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom should start a Podi business then. I'm sure she'll have regular customers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your idli podi looks delicious, loved the color of it too ! I have never added peanuts and moong dhal to my idli powder will definitely try the next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks very good.. we call it chutney pudi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm...love this..peanuts is a new addition to me..but im sure it will be a wonderful addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lakshmi,Thanks for the comment n also following me..I loved ur space..So many dishes,new to me,flavorful ones..:)
    Love this podi..Mom used to make at home..Now am using MTR wala..I'd love to try this one..:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spicy podi,such a nice complement with idlis:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the podi reached U.S safely because I've heard cases where customs ppl create unnecessary nuisance. The podi looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hai lakshmi...first time to ur blog...superb dishes nd fotos.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Lakshmi, Thanks for dropping and for following. I am honoured. YOur meligai podi looks lovley. Adding moong dhall and peanuts is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks so delicious! like to have it with idlis!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that looks very yummy. Sure will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Lakshmi..Sorry I couldnt reply you earlier..Regarding ur doubt I first kept the skewers on the grill for 20 min and turned it the other side.I applied some ghee over it and grilled it for another 10-15 min.It depends upon ur oven.Mine is not so fast.Check in between .Hope this would help you.If you have more questions mail me I will definietely mail u .
    Ur podi is bit different from mine..Beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  21. tastes great with dosas & Idlis .. love yr pic

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ur podi is quite different Lakshmi, never used peanuts in idli podis.looks very great..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ur podi is quite different tham mine, never used peanuts and dry coconut in idli podis. I love the color..i can imagine the taste..

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks good.. will try it the next time we make idlis at home..hopefully that will b on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey this is new one to add pea nuts and dry coco nut in milagai podi.. sounds yum dear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Peanut addition is new to to me too. My Mum adds very little jaggery to this. I love the flavor of dry coconut! What is idli without molaga podi:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always wanted to the recipe for this and I am so glad I found it here. Thanks for sharing.

    --Priya

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great. Chutney podi + coconut oil + idli's yummm :)
    We do not add til and peanuts but add some garlic..

    ReplyDelete
  29. useful post. I will try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. gosh, u just reminded me to make fresh batch of idli podi :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Never added peanut lakshmi...Yummy podi :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Even I have never added peanut in podi, but I am a big peanut fan....will try ur version next time.
    Bundle of awards waiting for you, collect it from my blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Lakshmi, your recipe is different from mine. I love the addition of tamarind and coconut in this. I think it'll taste great with plain rice and ghee too. Will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Different podi recipe.would be great to have this right now withh some hot idlies.

    ReplyDelete
  35. very useful entry. I have a big problem with chutneys for idly.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful blog with some great recipes I can't wait to try.

    I appreciate your hard work with this blog. I have had the pleasure to do a review of "Kitchen Chronicles" and I'm happy to let you know that you have been added to Blogging Women.

    Welcome to our women's blog directory and keep up the outstanding work with this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  37. your version of podi is very interesting. I add only urad and chana dal and no tamarind. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My husband who is from madras keeps mentioning abt Milagai Podi.It is similar to the one we make except for tamarind juice,peanuts and coconut.I will give it a try..It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Lakshmi,Ur podi recipe is great.. I prepared milagai podi for the first time yesterday. it came out to be very spicy.. is there a way to reduce that. I actually saw ur blog today.. i tried a different recipe which had only urad dal,chenna dal,salt and dry red chilli.. it'll be of great help if u can give a solution to reduce the kaaram in my podi.. thanks in advance..

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can eat Podi with litterally everything.. So different recipe
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...